- 2 Pounds Veal Shank
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup Thinly Sliced Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Celery
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 1 (8 Ounce) Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Parsley
- 1 Bay Leaf
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, and black pepper. Dredge meat in seasoned flour. In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Brown meat. Remove meat from pan, and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to drippings in pan. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, basil, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf. Return meat to pan. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer. Cover, and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
Peanut Butter Bars with Salted Chocolate Ganache
Nonstick cooking spray, for baking dish
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
8 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, optional
Coat the bottom and sides of an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, stir to combine the confectioners’ sugar, graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and melted butter. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish and set aside.
Place the chocolate and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until bubbles start to form around the edges. Pour the cream over the chocolate, let sit for 1 minute and then whisk until completely melted and smooth.
Pour the ganache over the peanut butter mixture and refrigerate until the chocolate is cooled and set, at least 45 minutes and up to overnight.
Sprinkle evenly with the flaky sea salt. Cut into squares to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Fuller